Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Maybe I'm going blind

I can't seem to improve my keeper rate when shooting with manual focus lenses. Especially the 100 f2 makro. Despite improvements I've made to the viewfinder and focusing screen, It is less than 50% when trying to get the eyes in focus. I could use live-view if my subjects are absolutely still, which is fine for portraiture and objects, but when trying to stuff that's sorta stop and go, live view isn't the quickest solution, so I tend to bracket my shots whilst focusing at the same time.

The vision in my left eye is perfect while the right(shooting eye) is a but blurry. The diopter adjustments are missing maybe one more click to perfectly calibrate my right eye. I may have to try adjusting so I could shoot with my left.

The bits of negative manual focus experience I've had was just enough to make me miss my autofocus lenses, in particular the 85 f1.4 and to some extent the 105 micro vr. The 100 f2 zeiss however replaces both them for what they specialize in, portraits and macro, respectively. I can live without AF on this lens so long as I'm not attempting to shoot sports or kids running around. I have a couple of other primes to meet those needs.

No comments: