Thursday, January 28, 2010

Photoshop Illustration

I created this blog mainly because, I really didn't want to update blogs for my two other websites (fotobyme.com and artworkbyme.com). On top of having two separate blogs, they were on platforms which were restricted to apple's iWeb software, on only ONE mac. You can't easily take your work to another mac then publish it there, unlike most web based blogs.

From time to time I'll get away from photography a bit, and talk about my illustrations, design and other creative process.

Anyway, here is a cover I illustrated back in july of '09.

I sketched it up on real paper, with a real pencil (yes, those still exist for us illustrators), scanned the image then illustrated it in photoshop.

Click here for bigger image
VCJ_july_cover



VCJ_july_cover sketch

Most of my illustrations are treated as if I were handling real mediums. Brush strokes and sensitivy, use of simple and basic colors as a foundation, working from dark to light (though it's perfectly fine to do it the other way around). Basically, applying all that I learned as a traditional illustrator onto a digital platform.

I could've done this using paths too, if I wanted to achieve that really clean look.

The subjects were handled with brush strokes in photoshop, the background was handled with paths.

No comments: